Monday, January 13, 2003

Arrogance.
Self-important smugness that is absolutely sure women were put on this earth to belittle & emasculate men. Self-righteousness that takes pride in exacting blind revenge on women who are not available at their whim and on a moment's notice.

(10:30pm Friday - Automobile interior. Mel and friend are driving to a party. We hear a cell phone ringing; our heroine answers.)
M: "Hello?"
Pinhead: "Is this...Mel?"
M: (brightly) "Yes, it is."
Pinhead: "Hi, it's [Pinhead]. I'm downtown - I didn't have to work tonight - and I was wondering if you'd like to come join me."
M: (hiding the fact that she's a little freaked out by his immediate availability to someone he's only talked to for 20 minutes in a noisy bar, especially when they just chatted the night before and made plans for Sunday) "Oh, that's nice of you, but unfortunately I'm otherwise engaged."
Pinhead: (sarcastic) "Oh, you're *otherwise engaged*. I see."
M: (taken aback by his unwarranted, ineffective, and borderline-offensive attempt at cleverness) "Uh, yeah, Friday tends to be reserved for a particular social gathering, and that's what I'm doing."
Pinhead: (extremely sarcastic) "Oh, I see how it is, hanging out with people who are more important than me. I understand."
M: (waging fierce internal battle to prevent herself from informing him that, actually, yes, the neighborhood Starbucks barista is more important than him at this point, but she is determined to be the bigger person) "Well, I appreciate you thinking of me, and I'll see you on Sunday, like we planned."
Pinhead: (surprisingly pleasant) "Sure, I'll call you Sunday."
(11am Sunday - Mel's house. She calls [Pinhead], leaves a nice message, hangs up and goes about her day.)
(2:30pm Monday- Mel's house. No return call, no nothin'.)

Shocking...Mr. Comedy has enough presence of mind to call me out of the blue on Friday, but his calendar is so out of order that he can't remember the scheduled time we confirmed, not once but twice? News flash: there is a difference between having a genuine schedule conflict, and simply acting like a big crybaby who wants to teach me a thing or two. Do you honestly think I'm going to go out with you NOW??!? "Well, gosh, [Pinhead], I sure am glad you decided to be extremely rude to me, and then flake on me, because otherwise, I might never have learned this important lesson in humility and submission. Your passive-aggressiveness has shown me the light. I've thrown away my PDA - I don't need it. I will never be busy again, just in case you decide to call me. Wow...I never knew that not having a life could feel this good!"

In the appropriately passe' words of Ellen & Sherrie's post-Cosmo triumph, "The Rules for Online Dating"... DELETE > NEXT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home